Sunday 17 June 2018

Grimhammers and a Dragon

Whelp... Sometimes (read: pretty much always) getting back into the swingg of things for me equals getting distraced by new and exciting projects. On the downside, I didn't get that much painting done on the Nazgûl but on the upside I now have a painted Grimhammer Captain. Other than that I also did some building and finished filling in the gaps of my Carmine Dagon and built her a base.

Grimhammers vs. Gundabad
Pict 440: Grimhammers vs. Gundabad
Grimhammer Captain
Pict 441: Grimhammer Captain
Grimhammer Captain
Pict 442: Grimhammer Captain
Grimhammer Captain
Pict 443: Grimhammer Captain

I'm pretty happy with this Captain - I highlighted the scales of his skirt individually and that shows in contrast to the drybrushed warriors. The tattoo on his head is a little crooked but I like it as a first attempt. I don't think he'll see that much playtime since the profile is not that strong and it has to compete with Young Balin and Young Dwalin - both better and more characterful options. But I might need him for scenarioplay and simply for completion's sake.

Carmine Dragon + Base (WIP)
Pict 444: Carmine Dragon + Base (WIP)
And to show a bit of my building progress here is a picture of the Carmine Dragon. I went with a selfconstucted base of 100 x 100 mm. The figure itself has a sculped basepiece that is just a bit to big for the screaming bell base and I didn't want to cut anything of. I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on this dragon but I might have to finish some other projects on my table first to make some space.

4 comments:

  1. Head tattoos are cool. That Carmine dragon is spectacular and looks even better on the base. What colour are you going to paint it? No, no wait, don't tell me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a bit on the fence about the Dragon's colours. Carmine suggests a dark shade of red, but I really like the artwork in Monstrous Arcanum. Emulating that would mean going even darker, maybe with a hint of purple?

      Delete
    2. I like red because of Smaug (I think Tolkein's drawings of him were red? Not sure) but you don't want him fire engine red. Why not start with a dark purple and slowly highlight with purple/red until its too red and then stop?

      Delete
    3. I might just have to try that!

      Delete