Sunday 23 September 2018

Arise, arise Riders of Théoden!

Putting the Osgiliath scenery on hold for a week, I painted up some Riders of Rohan as well as Théoden and Éomer in their Pelennor garb.

Rohirrim
Pict 504: Rohirrim
Théoden (Pelennor)
Pict 505: Théoden (Pelennor)
Théoden (Pelennor)
Pict 506: Théoden (Pelennor)
Théoden (Pelennor)
Pict 507: Théoden (Pelennor)
Éomer, Knight of the Pelennor
Pict 508: Éomer, Knight of the Pelennor
Éomer, Knight of the Pelennor
Pict 509: Éomer, Knight of the Pelennor

With the new rules Théoden seems to be a must-take in any Rohan army so that I had to paint this mounted version of the King of Rohan. Since the Éomer, Knight of the Pelennor miniature is rather similar, I painted them in tandem. I really like the two sculpts - the only complaint I have is that Éomer does not have his sword Gúthwinë with the signature curved horseheads as the crossguard. Fortunately I had a spare and quickly replaced it.

Riders of Rohan
Pict 510: Riders of Rohan
Riders of Rohan
Pict 511: Riders of Rohan
And here are a few more warriors - I started two of the normal riders and the banner bearer back in 2015 so that I only had to finish up the eyes and the highlights. It went rather quickly considering I had put it off for over three years...

Rohan Army (555 points)
Pict 512: Rohan Army (555 points)
After painting these riders, I dusted off my Rohan army to patch them up a bit and give them all good coat of matte varnish. I used a contigent of normal Riders and Royal Guard led by the newly painted Théoden, Éomer as well as Éowyn as my army for a tournament on Saturday.

Weta Sideshow Collectibles Legolas Bust
Pict 513: Weta Sideshow Collectibles Legolas Bust
The Riders perfomed very well - even though I lost the first battle (against Morannon Orcs and the Witchking - points for style!), I absolutely destroyed my second opponent (Morannon Orcs again with Gorbag, Shagrat and a Great Beast of Gororoth) and managed to eek out a small vicotry against the last (he played Isengard with some Berserkers, Lurtz and Vraskû with a contingent of crossbows). With that I made second place which is nice; but more importantely, I was voted the fairest player and awarded with this very nice Legolas bust by Weta. All in all an amazing day!

3 comments:

  1. The Ride of the Rohirrim! Please tell me you scream, 'FORTH EORLINGAS!!' every time you make a charge. Great work and congratulations on the prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! It's either 'FORTH EORLINGAS!' or simply 'DEATH!' - but with the new Rohan dice I also like to say 'I'm looking for the horsey'.

      Delete