Sunday 14 October 2018

Théoden and Éomer, Defenders of Rohan

This week, I finished up the Rohan heroes, on foot I had started for that tournament a few weeks back - Théoden and Éomer, both from the Defenders of Rohan box are added to my tally. I then started work on a palette cleanser: black and white ghosties for the Lord of the Rings.

Théoden and Éomer on the Lookout
Pict 522: Théoden and Éomer on the Lookout
Théoden, Defender of Rohan
Pict 523: Théoden, Defender of Rohan
Théoden, Defender of Rohan
Pict 524: Théoden, Defender of Rohan
Éomer, Defender of Rohan
Pict 525: Éomer, Defender of Rohan
Éomer, Defender of Rohan
Pict 526: Éomer, Defender of Rohan

As you can see, the eyes turned out ok. I'm not a hundret percent on the eyebrowns but they will do. I like the more static poses - quite often you are on the lookout for dynamic scuplt and the result is (a bit overdramatised) a dwarf prancing on one foot, hacking at an unseen foe. Don't get me wrong those have a time and place as well. The Defenders of Rohan however manage a resting pose that still is interesting - for exemple the slight contraposto for Éomer and the asymmetrie of sword and helmet in Théodens hands. I might have to do the rest of the box, now that I started it...

Nazgûl and Barrow-Wights (WIP)
Pict 527: Nazgûl and Barrow-Wights (WIP)

I have, however, started with something different first: the nine Nagûl on foot and four Barrow-Wights. I started with the metals (mainly Warplock Bronze and Leadbealcher) since they tend to be a bit messy when you drybrush the highlights and right now the different miniatures look rather similar. With the next step however they will go in opposite directions. The Nazgûl will get their black coats (I'm looking forward to blending in the greys) and the Wights will get the same treatment as the Twilight-Ringwraits did (I'm not looking forward to blending up to white...)

4 comments:

  1. Its a red day, a sword day! Nice work. Good luck with blending cloaks. That always drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! I hope to make a start on the cloaks this evening.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I am getting together some Minas Tirith at the moment. LotR is a brilliant game with an exceptional setting. Very hyped lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I really like the (new) rules - it's my main game right now.
      Minas Tirith has some amazing heroes as well as good troops and they are a joy to paint.

      Delete