Sunday 15 March 2020

Building an Uruk-Hai Army like it's 2001

These past two weeks again were spent painting (among other things) Uruk Scouts. With this last batch, I'm ready to call the scout army done for the moment. I then went on to paint up a few more Rohan heroes.

Uruk-Hai Scout Army 2020
Pict 853: Uruk-Hai Scout Army 2020

Uruk-Hai Scouts and Ballista Loader
Pict 854: Uruk-Hai Scouts and Ballista Loader
I really like how this army looks once put together like this. I painted three more bowmen to bring my total up to twelve and another twelve Scouts with shields for a total of nineteen. I will have to add in one box of the plastic Scouts at some point but for now I'm happy to have painted a bunch on models from almost 20 years ago. I think that the next step will be Mordor Orcs from that time to be able to mix them in for some spear supports.
Whilst acquiring the Scouts, I also got a second Ballista loader and proceeded to paint him alongside the Scouts. He might simply get used as a pikeman once the opportunity arises.

Mauhur (Conversion)
Pict 855: Mauhur (Conversion)

To upgrade the Scouts to marauders, I had to get myself a Mauhur. There once was a metal miniature for him but nowadays he's only availiable in Finecast. Since the rest of the army is metal that surely was not an option so I had to go about converting one. Mauhur is pretty much only a Scout with two swords and a cape and thus it was easy enough: The main body is just one of the runing Scouts, the right hand was missing in this case, so that Lurtz had to donate one. The right arm and shoulder are from another Lurtz, this time the one just holding his bow. And lasty the sword in the left hand comes from Uglúk. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out and of course I like him better than the original model now!

Haleth, Aldor, Eorl
Pict 856: Haleth, Aldor, Eorl
Haleth, Aldor, Eorl
Pict 857: Haleth, Aldor, Eorl

To have some more opponents for my Uruks I then swiched over to more Rohan heroes. First up were Aldor and Haleth - two of the newer models made by ForgeWorld. They painted up reasanobly quickly since they are pretty much Rohan Warriors with a little extra. I guess they will really shine in a Defense of Helm's Deep army and I just might have to write up a list to try them out.
I also wanted to try out the new Helm Hammerhand profile and because my ForgeWorld order had not yet arrived I decided to prox him with a different legenday king of Rohan: Eorl, the guy who started the whole thing. It's a good thing that I did because I don't think I'd paint him anytime soon otherwise. The pose is quite nice but the face seems to be a victim of casting issues rather often. It went ok, but I had to guess where the eyes on the model were rathern than having them modeled on there. Next up will have to be the Eorl mounted and of course Helm himself!

Gandalf the White (WIP)
Pict 858: Gandalf the White (WIP)

And lastly here's a WIP. I never acually painted any Gandalf the White miniatures. When I started playing he was simply to expensive (it's got nothing to do with me being unable to use magic effectively!). But now that I'm spending some more time in Rohan, he jumped to the top of the queue. I went for a grey cloak to mimic the scene of him coming into the hall of Meduseld but not wuite having revealed himself.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! 20 years of hobby shame atoned for! I'm not sure I'll ever get through my backlog. That conversion is seamless. I checked online and agree that yours looks better. Be careful if you get the conversion bug. It can lead to enormous amounts of time wasting (but is a lot of fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - Yeah, the hacking and sawing of miniatures is really great fun!

      Delete
  2. These are fantasic! I have boxes of LotR in the garage that I have hardly touched, but I can feel that their time has almost arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Perry twins and other really did a great job capturing the film's aesthetic with their miniatures. I'd love to see you paint some as well!

      Delete
    2. I have lots of Moria orcs to do, it will give me another chance to play with some oxidised metals :-)

      Delete
    3. The early plastics show their age but still hold up - I've seen quite amazing tings done with Moria Goblins.

      Delete
  3. Nice army, the Uruk-Hai scouts are great sub army of the White Hand. A lot more interesting than the regular Uruk-Hai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! They were great fun to collect and to paint - I just have to play them some more!

      Delete