Sunday 10 January 2021

Testing Colours for ArcWorlde Wild Elves

This first week of the year I still had a bit more time to paint and got started on my resolutions with a set of Arcane Ruins. I also tried out the colours for my Wild Elves and their summoned creatures.

Wild Elven Warrior, Woodfiend and Lichenhawk
Pict 976: Wild Elven Warrior, Woodfiend and Lichenhawk
ArcWorlde Wild Elven Warrior with Bow
Pict 977: ArcWorlde Wild Elven Warrior with Bow
I really had great fun choosing the colours and painting this model. At first I tried a lighter skintone but the went for a darker grey anyways. The red war paint is a bit held back because I was afraid to ruin the model and I did not want to go over all of my nicely painted skin. But other models from the line, especially commanders and mages will propably be covered in more warpaint. After painting I also wrote up my recipe so that I wont forget how I did the model.

Woodfiend and Lichenhawk
Pict 978: Woodfiend and Lichenhawk

The Woodfiend was the first of the summoned units I painted and it was surprisingly easy to paint. I had not experimented with a glow from the deeper parts of a miniature before. Glazing different reds went pretty well however! The Lichenhawk was done following the same steps and I'm looking forward to replicating the scheme on the bigger monsters as well.

Arcane Ruins
Pict 979: Arcane Ruins
I also painted this part of a set of Arcane Ruins. I like the beige sandstone but I could have gone a little lighter with the streaking of the washes. When painting the main part of the ruins, I might just try and only tint the colour of the stone instead. I bought the set of scenery years ago and it sat primed on my shelf for almost as long. So painting this is a big win! And again, I made a note of my recipe for this ruin - I will use a similar way to paint other GW terrain as well and who knows when I will get to that...

Arcane Ruins (WIP)
Pict 980: Arcane Ruins (WIP)

Speaking of Arcane Ruins, here is a WIP of the rest of the set. As for now it has pretty much only had a few layers of Steel Legion Drab. This took quite some time considering the size of the kit. The next step will be drybrushing several additional layers but after that, it will be sone quite soon!

4 comments:

  1. That would be a cool skin tone for Drow flesh too. I wish they still made the Arcane Ruins set, it was an interesting kit with lots of variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting Drow in this fashing is a great idea! I do have some lying around in one of my boxes somewhere...
      Agreed the Arcane Ruins are great! Painting one set now, I think about what I would do with another one. But I propably have enough scenery as it is.

      Delete
  2. Love the grey skin tone and contrasting red warpaint. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to paining more from Warploque's line of miniatures.

      Delete