Sunday 30 July 2023

Mordor Orcs, Cursed City Vampires and a third Venomthrope

During the past two weeks, I painted quite a few Mordor Orcs including a Captain and two Warg Riders. I also finished the two Vampires from the first Cursed City expasion: Lady Annika and Carmilla DuSang. And while I did not paint any more Tyranids, I also converted a third metal Venomthrope to make them a legal unit in 10th edition.

Mordor Orc Reinforcements
Pict 1332: Mordor Orc Reinforcements
Mordor Orc Captain, Orc Warriors, Warg Riders
Pict 1333: Mordor Orc Captain, Orc Warriors, Warg Riders
Mordor Orc Captain, Orc Warriors, Warg Riders
Pict 1334: Mordor Orc Captain, Orc Warriors, Warg Riders

With some Middle-earth games going on, I got back to painting Mordor Orcs. The foot troops are all beautiful metal models that were originally released in 2001 and were availiable recently as a Made-to-order. Having painted them now, I have grown to love them even more. They are so characterfull. Especially the faces and helmets.
Same with the Warg Riders - the metal versions are vastly superior to the plastics and with a bit of converting, you so get some more poses that the three that were released. Here the one with the bow is the unaltered one, the shield bearer my conversion. I had converted these models and started to paint them in November 2021... really a good feeling to get them done now!

Lady Annika and Carmilla DuSang
Pict 1335: Lady Annika and Carmilla DuSang
Carmilla DuSang and Lady Annika
Pict 1336: Carmilla DuSang and Lady Annika
Carmilla DuSang and Lady Annika
Pict 1337: Carmilla DuSang and Lady Annika

As a quick little project inbetween I painted the two Vampires I was still missing for the first Cursed City expansion. Two really great miniatures with completly different characters. I'm happy with the way they turned out. But I have to say, painting the faces was tricky behind the mask and the armour spikes respectively.
While I'd like to get these two on the table before long, I think I will paint up the models for the other expansion first. I'd like to start a new playthrough once I have all the minis together.

Venomthrope (WIP)
Pict 1338: Venomthrope (WIP)

I also got myself a second hand metal Venomthrope to make a legal unit. After dissasembling and removing the old paint, I went about converting a more dynamic pose. Cutting off the head and reattaching it on a slant unlocked the turning body and the tentacles simply fell into place. Now I want to get more even of them and make more cool poses... But first, I'll have to paint the bunch – we'll see, where the butterfly takes me next!


2 comments:

  1. Good job, I especially like the vampires. A Great pair of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like these modern sculpts, really distinctive style that fits right in with the Cursed City minis.

      Delete