Sunday 1 October 2023

Starting DreadTober 2023: A Castra Ferrum for the Blood Angels

It's the start of October and that does mean, among other things, it's the start of DreadTober, one of the fun community challanges of the hobby year. This time around I will paint up a boxy Castra Ferrum Dreadnought for my Blood Angels. A stretch goal will be a Dreadnought Drop Pod as a delivery system. But I do also want to finish some squads for my Blood Angels Legion to play them in an upcoming tournament.

Blood Angels MK IV Castra Ferrum Dreadnought (WIP)
Pict 1359: Blood Angels MK IV Castra Ferrum Dreadnought (WIP)

So, onto the juicy bits: After showing the Castra Ferrum conversion last post, I primed him up and started to put some paint on him. I really love the boxnought's silhouette and I'm very happy with the conversion. The painting process really just flows along. The basecolours are almost done. After that I will put on decals and an oilwash. This sould all go rather fast. It's super enjoyable!

Deadnought Drop Pod (WIP)
Pict 1360: Deadnought Drop Pod (WIP)

To keep things interesting, I want to add this Dreadnought Drop Pod as a stretch goal to this years Dreadtober. Once again, I got this miniature for rather cheap on the second hand market. It was, however, in a really sorry state. One of the hinges was broken so the previous owner glued the doors shut and covered all of the hinges in a layer of milliput.
I have by now managed to disasseble the whole thing and have gotten rid of the paintjob as well as the putty. There will probably be some residual super glue on the doors but I can live with that. The next steps will be to finish repairing the broken hinge, installing some magnets and metal pieces to keep the doors shut and then reassembling the miniature.

Blood Angels Inductii Despoilers and Consul (WIP)
Pict 1361: Blood Angels Inductii Despoilers and Consul (WIP)

The Inductii Despoilers and the Consul sat somewhat idely during the last two weeks. They have had their oilwash done and had a first layer of varnish to seal the oils in. After that, however, they collected dust. I find myself in the mode to basecoat, being less careful and not using the wet palette I'd use for highlighting.
Blood Angels Mortalis Destryers and Aster Crohne (WIP)
Pict 1362: Blood Angels Mortalis Destryers and Aster Crohne (WIP)
Blood Angels Rhino with Reinforced Armour (WIP)
Pict 1363: Blood Angels Rhino with Reinforced Armour (WIP)

As I mentioned in my last post, I have signed up for a Heresy tournament. I easily have the required 2000 points painted, but why not use that opportunity to finish some more of the backlog. After the Inductii Despoilers, I also want to finish these ten Destryoers and their Rhino. And of course I also added in the appropriate character in the form of Aster Crohne, even if he will probably not be part of my tournament list. So while putting the base colours on the Dreadnought, I did the same to them. The tournament is at the start of November – we'll see how far I can get until then!

Howling Griffons Veterans and Captain (WIP)
Pict 1364: Howling Griffons Veterans and Captain (WIP)

Lastly, since I'm clearly not working on enough Space Marines, I also put the base colours and an oil wash on some more Howling Griffons. I had started the black armour quite a while ago and they should be done rather quickly now as well.

8 comments:

  1. Nice set of Blood Angels to work on. I've been following the Dread conversion. Very cool. It's going to look great in full livery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I do love getting back to a boxnought, haven't painted one in years!

      Delete
  2. Dreadnoughts are cool. So, dreadnought drop pods must be even cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so as well! But getting this older Drop Pod assembled neatly and functionally is a bit of a struggle...

      Delete
  3. All of your Blood Angels are looking great as usual.
    The Boxnaught is well on the way, I'm looking forward to seeing it done as I've only just started converting mine.
    I like the Howling Griffons, are they in night world camo? As I prefer the black armour over the quartered red and yellow, just the touch where you've used it on the shoulder pad works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers– yes, I could not wait to get my hands on the boxnought! I'll be looking forward to yours as well!
      Exactly, the Howling Griffons are part of my Badab War collection and wear the appropriate Night World camo. The only thing I changed from the FW colour plates is the chest eagle. I did not paint those grey, but went for the bronze I also used on other parts of the model.

      Delete
  4. Nice.. I love the dark and gritty look.. The Drop Pod it a rough model even at it's best haha .. I used magnets to make it work correctly, it let the doors float a little bit so they weren't correctly open or closed. Looking forward to seeing the Dread all done up. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to look at your blog for that Dreadnought Drop Pod! I agree, it's rough but it's also really a great miniature!

      Delete