Sunday 8 October 2023

Finishing six Xiphons and a first DreadTober Update

This week, I finished the six Aeronautica Xiphons to make a start on my Legiones Imperialis collection. I'm also making pretty good time with my DreadTober Castra Ferrum and am concurrenty batch painting several Marines in sevor armour. The Dreadnought Drop Pod is also coming together, but will take some more work.

Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons
Pict 1365: Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons
Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons
Pict 1366: Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons
Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons
Pict 1367: Aeronautica Imperialis Xiphons

First up though, to get back into the finer highlighting, I finished up these six Xiphons I started a few weeks back. They are my first foray into the 8mm scale. Since I used pretty much my usual Blood Angels recipe, it really did not feel that different and I quite enjoyed it. While I could use them in games of Aeronautica Imperialis, I am really looking forward to Legiones Imperialis and plan to get into the game using the same Siege of Terra themed Blood Angels and allies fitting into that era. While not that much, these six planes are somewhat of a head start.

Blood Angels MK IV Castra Ferrum Dreadnougth (WIP)
Pict 1368: Blood Angels MK IV Castra Ferrum Dreadnougth (WIP)

The Boxnought I'm painting for DreadTober is really starting to look like something: After last week's update, I added a bunch of decals and then putting an oil wash over the whole model. After a layer of matt varnish, the dreadnought is now ready for highlights and further weathering.

Dreadnought Drop Pod (WIP)
Pict 1369: Dreadnought Drop Pod (WIP)

The Drop Pod is also shaping up. However, SincaiN reported in the comments of last week's post, that he had used magnets on the doors. After looking up the relevant posts on his blog, I saw that he had not used them to hold the doors closed like I wanted to do, but used them to replace the hinges. Since my solution of using putty to rebuild the hinge has not worked out the best (the hinge is already breaking again), I will replicate his solution.

Blood Angels Inductii Despoilers and Consul (WIP)
Pict 1370: Blood Angels Inductii Despoilers and Consul (WIP)

Here's a quick shot of some of my Inductii Despoilers. Not the whole batch, but they are all pretty much at the same stage. I have gone through quite a lot of highlighting on the details. What's left to do is to put highlights and weathering such as scratches onto the black and the red areas. I'm slowly getting there, but painting them in a batch of sixteen marines is quite a lot of them at once; I might reduce that down for those last stages to a more manageble number.

Blood Angels Mortalis Destroyers and Aster Crohne (WIP)
Pict 1371: Blood Angels Mortalis Destroyers and Aster Crohne (WIP)
Blood Angels Rhino with Reinforced Armour (WIP)
Pict 1372: Blood Angels Rhino with Reinforced Armour (WIP)

Lastly here is the current state of the Destroyers and their Rhino. In comparison to last week, I put on the black panels and then they had the decals and oils done alongside the Dreadnought. Since the Blood Angels decal sheet does not come with classic Destroyer markings, I used some from the World Eaters sheet. Since they are only the outlines and not solid, they don't show up that well on the black shoulder pads and I might add the colour in myself.

8 comments:

  1. That's a lot going on there. Great projects! The Xiphon's came out very well, congrats on your results. The Blood angels are looking good too; inspires me to get the 1st Legion back on the painting table again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just submitted my list for the tournament today, so now there's no going back. Besides the Dreadnought, I have to finish these Marines this month!

      Delete
  2. Agreed you seem to have a lot of different projects on the go at once. I like how the dreadnought is shaping up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! We'll how far I can get in the next few weeks!

      Delete
  3. There's a lot of Blood Angel goodness carrying on.
    Xiphons look great, and the Boxnaught is coming along really well.
    Are the Destroyers going to be brightened up like the rest of your Angels or are you going to leave their armour a darker, more sinister colour?
    Also where is the head for Aster Crohne from?
    As that looks awesome with his half mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! The Destroyers will get a bit brighter, but maybe not quite as bright as the Assault Marines for example. I have experimented with cutting a step out of my recipe using only the red zenithal spray for the red colour prior to the oil wash and the following highlights.
      Crohne's head is spliced together from an unhelmeted Blood Angels head and one from the Sanguinary Guard for the mask. Did take a few attempts though to keep the right amount of nose!

      Delete
  4. Nice man you have been crazy busy! .. The work is coming along nice and I'm liking the look. If you want any close up pictures of the magnets of the drop pod let me know and I can take a few more if I dont already have some better ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I should be able to do the magnetizing. Really glad to have come across your idea on how to do it!

      Delete