Sunday 11 February 2024

Old Vampires Stir

I managed to finish a few miniatures for my Undead collection, did some more work on the elite Blood Angels from last post and then started a new MESBG army project in the form of Ents with Quickbeam and Treebeard.

Old Vampires stir up the local cemetary
Pict 1414: Old Vampires stir up the local cemetary
C18 Vampira, Necromancer and Neferata
Pict 1415: C18 Vampira, Necromancer and Neferata

First up are the first finished miniatures of the year – three pieces of my Undead collection that I started right after a game of Cursed City last Halloween. The faces of the C18 Vampire and Neferata were a bit challenging to paint up with the somewhat exaggerated features of yesteryear. But I'm pretty happy with the way they look now. In comparison, the modern Necromancer really was a joy to highlight, but he does lack some of the charm the older miniatures have.
The Necromancer is the first of nineteen miniatures I want to finish this year for the second Cursed City expansion. Very good to have the first one done early in the year, but I have to try and not loose sight of them and should propably start the next batch sooner rather than later.

Blood Angels Tartaros Command and Veterans (WIP)
Pict 1416: Blood Angels Tartaros Command and Veterans (WIP)

My Blood Angels got to see action in a game of Zone Mortalis. I was really happy with the Veterans and the Terminators but my Preator really needs a more powerful weapon compared to the simple power weapon he comes with. Thankfully what he's modeled with could reasonably represent a numer of different weapons. So I'll be able to try a few permutations.
Anyways, the oilwash is dry and locked in with a coat of varnish, the detail work is coming along nicely and I'm starting with the highlighting of the red armour. Not that much more to do after that, so I should have them ready for a Zone Mortalis tournament this coming saturday.

Quickbeam and Treebeard (WIP)
Pict 1417: Quickbeam and Treebeard (WIP)

I also got to play two games of Middle-earth SBG and fell in love with a somewhat stupid list containing just the three Ent heroes Treebeard, Quickbeam and Beechbone. The latter has no official model and I used my metal Ent to represent him – the first time he saw play since I painted him almost three years ago!
Quickbeam here was only partially assembled when I played him. Glueing on the all the missing branches did not take long at all and the basecolours and washes went down fast as well. Treebeard is missing some greenstuffing before the priming. The gaps should be done quickly, but Merry is missing his right hand. I'll have to see how adequatly I can manage that...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff! The Blood Angels look already great and it is always nice to see some old Vampires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Some of the Angels already have had their armour glazed with red. That really makes the come together – It just takes so long!

      Delete
  2. The vampires are very vibrant with their BLOOD red dresses, I guess it helps hide it they're messy eaters?

    The Angels as usual look top, even at this stage just waiting to be finished off.

    I've never played Ents for MESBG, always a cavalryman from Rohan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Of course the dresses are red. Blood stains are a bugger to get out of fabric!
      The Angels are coming along nicely, we'll have to see how they do in the game...
      The ents are quite fun! But yes - Rohan is my first MESBG love as well!

      Delete