Sunday 25 February 2024

Blood Angels Big and Small

With last weeks Zone Mortalis tournament, I was somewhat pressed for time, but still managed to finish up all the Blood Angels I wanted to play. After that I spent this week finishing up some projects that lay around started on my desk – among others some more small scale Blood Angels.

Blood Angels Tartaros Command and Veterans
Pict 1418: Blood Angels Tartaros Command and Veterans
Blood Angels Tartaros Preator and Command Squad
Pict 1419: Blood Angels Tartaros Preator and Command Squad
Blood Angels Tartaros Preator and Command Squad
Pict 1420: Blood Angels Tartaros Preator and Command Squad

First up are the Tartaros Praetor and his Command Squad. The Praetor is the limied release miniature from 2016 and is the second version I painted of him – my 6th / 7th edition Flesh Tearers army made use of one as well. Anyways, a very cool miniature! I really like the Tartaros armour and getting to use the Command Squad and the Praetor during the tournament was really great.

Blood Angels Veterans and Apothecary
Pict 1421: Blood Angels Veterans and Apothecary
Blood Angels Veterans and Apothecary
Pict 1422: Blood Angels Veterans and Apothecary

These Veterans were especially built for with Zone Mortalis in mind. They are kitted out for close quarters fighting and make use of a lot of flamers to root out any enemy clumping up in the tunnels. Especially when paired up with another squad, they really chewed through enemies. During painting I followed my usual recipe, but of course they are a lot more blinged out. For example I decided to give them all gold helmets following the examples from the Liber Astartes and of course the old Black Book Malevolence.

Legions Imperialis Blood Angels Contemptors and Plasma Support
Pict 1423: Legions Imperialis Blood Angels Contemptors and Plasma Support

Since I had the fitting shades of red on my wet palette, I also finished up some more Legions Imperialis Marines. I had started them before a game to make the Plasma Support Marines stand out against the tacticals. Now that the plasma guns have had some more highlights, they should read even better. The Contemptors were painted alongside them. Simply because I love my Dreadnoughts.
This is also reflected in the numbers of miniatures bought this year. I can't wait to add some Leviathans and Deredeos into my roster!

Blood Anges Preator (reworked)
Pict 1424: Blood Anges Preator (reworked)

One of the small projects I mopped up after the big push for the tournament was this Praetor. He was done quite a while ago but I had to chop off the head for my Raldoron. I had selected and primed a head pretty much right after decapitating. But I never got around to painting it until now. There also was a bit of touching up to be done around the collar. I'm really happy with how he looks now and glad he can now be able to be fielded again.

Horus Heresy and Legions Imperialis Size Comparison
Pict 1425: Horus Heresy and Legions Imperialis Size Comparison

This also a great opportunity to do the obligatory photo comparing the size difference between the two scales. Really sets the minute detail Workshop was able to put into the small miniatures into perspective!

6 comments:

  1. A very cool set of marines, big and small. I love how your Legions Imperialis models are coming out. Still haven't decided to put paint on mine yet, but I'm working up to it. So much to paint, so little time...I like your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I agree - there are always so many more projects one could do! But it does help to have a friend to play against with a fully painted epic army to look up to!

      Delete
  2. Looking very cool, I particularly like the veterans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were great fun and I plan to add another unit to my collection.

      Delete
  3. As always, the painted figures are outstanding.

    How many Legion points are you planning to paint? Is it fun compared to the normal sized minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      With my one Warlord Titan added in, I should be able to field a 3k army of LI Blood Angels. But I'm sure, once more stuff such as the Drop Pods and the fast attack pieces will be released, I will get those as well.
      I'd argue the game might be even more fun that the 28mm game – the order system with pre-planning your turn and alternatig activations is really nice. And while I really love the planes and "bigger" miniatures for LI, I like painting the bigger Marines better.

      Delete