Sunday 1 September 2024

Meltas for all the Blood Angels

In the past few weeks, I was quite productive and finished up another set of Horus Heresy Blood Angels. With these under my belt, I also got around to some more Howling Griffons, that lay around for about a year.

Blood Angels Melta Support Squad
Pict 1454: Blood Angels Melta Support Squad
Blood Angels Melta Support Squad
Pict 1455: Blood Angels Melta Support Squad
Blood Angels Melta Support Squad
Pict 1456: Blood Angels Melta Support Squad

I did not quite finish these Blood Angels in time for last week's Campaign day, but they were far enough to see play. After three amazing games, my mind was fired up with new ideas for my Heresy marines. And I really wanted to finish the Melta Support Squad, the Rhino and the two characters. Doing the highlighting took some time, especially glazing the red armour, but I'm very happy to have done it now. I love the way the heat bloom looks on the squad's Melta guns.

Blood Angels Rhino
Pict 1457: Blood Angels Rhino
Blood Angels Rhino
Pict 1458: Blood Angels Rhino
Blood Angels Rhino
Pict 1459: Blood Angels Rhino
Blood Angels Rhino
Pict 1460: Blood Angels Rhino

The Support Squad also got their dedicated transport of a Rhino. Again using the Mars pattern but with the ForgeWorld Icon on one side and an additional icon on the back hatch. The big flat panels of the vehicle really lend themselves to weathering such as scratches. Really god fun to paint up!

Blood Angels Moritat and Boarding Marine
Pict 1461: Blood Angels Moritat and Boarding Marine
Blood Angels Moritat and Boarding Marine
Pict 1462: Blood Angels Moritat and Boarding Marine

The Moritat did get to do a bit in Zone Mortalis, winning me one game by running down the enemy Warlord. They even improved over the games, since there was a character experience system in place. I was originally not perfectly happy with the pose, especially the sword is quite hidden. But theay have grown on me and I can't wait to use them in some more games.
The Boarding Marine came out great as well. I painted them up to fit into my Breacher squad but I guess they will see litte time on the gaming table. It's really a shame that there is no regular way to kit out a Breacher squad with melee weapons.

Howling Griffons Veterans purging a Zone Mortalis
Pict 1463: Howling Griffons Veterans purging a Zone Mortalis
Howling Griffons Veterans
Pict 1464: Howling Griffons Veterans

After finishing the Blood Angels, I got right onto another set of Space Marines and finished up six more Howling Griffons that I started last October. I said back then, that the highlights should not take long. And in fact I managed to do it during the course of a morning – only about a year later... Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the way they came out. They are a bit rougher than the Blood Angels – perfectly fitting for smaller games set during the Badab War!

Blood Angels Kharybdis Assault Claw (WIP)
Pict 1465: Blood Angels Kharybdis Assault Claw (WIP)

One last thing, the campaign day inspired me to do, was to stick together this Kharybdis Assault Claw. Its a massive beast, weighing in at pretty much exactly one kilogram of ForgeWorld resin! I purchased the Kharybdis used and took it apart at the start of the year. And having now put it together and even started basecoating it, I'm super happy with it and can't wait to get it to th tabletop once more. (Of course it saw about five minutes of game time before getting shot out of the sky...)


2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love to see the Howling Griffons at work. The pose on the boarding marine is fun too, like he just made a salute to the enemy as they start their charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, it's a great pose – very much a knight in space. What more could you want?

      Delete