Sunday 18 March 2018

Termagants, Genestealers and D&D

I originally planned to get the Dúnedain done, but as is so often the case, I got distracted. During a painting session with a friend, I started to work on some more Tyranids and I contiued with my D&D menagerie.

Genestealer, Termagant
Pict 391: Smaller Tyranids
Termagants (WIP)
Pict 392: Termagants (WIP)

These Tyranids were the ones that were primed and ready to get some paint, so I grabbed them when I was invited for an afternoon of painting over at a friend's. I was really surprised at how fast I was able to get the skin and the first layer of carapax done - I did pretty much all of them in this one afternoon, so that I was able to finish some and get very far with ten more. There are still some more Genestealers as well as Hormagaunts and Termagants left for me to do, but the backlog of Tyranids is definitly shrinking!

Skeleton (Diablo II Miniatures)
Pict 393: Skeleton (Diablo II Miniatures)
Skeleton (Diablo II Miniatures)
Pict 394: Skeleton (Diablo II Miniatures)
This here is the first piece from the Diablo II Miniatures set, I was gifted last year. I really enjoyed the old school look of this skeleton and the painting went really fast as well. I used the same woodgrain technique I developed for the shields of my Arnor Warriors and I'm happy with the texture it adds to the miniature.

Hex-Map of the Elven-King's Protectorate
Pict 395: Hex-Map of the Elven-King's Protectorate

Some more hobby-time was spent world-building for Dungeons and Dragons. The first outlines of terrain, cities and special places were created using the Rolling through Regions generator over at my friend's roleplaying blog Out of Curiosity. After I had a rough sketch in pencil, I used Hexographer by Inkwell Ideas to convert it into a hex-map. The resulting look of the map is great I think, but the tool has it's kinks.
I do want to continue with the D&D miniatures - maybe I'll be able to sneak one in every week? Let's see!

2 comments:

  1. Spinefists!? Are you mad? Actually, they look quite cool, I've just never seen them used in a game! Devilgaunts or standard Tervigon poop are the only things people use. Shame really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I might be a little mad - but I had so many of the other variants, that I wanted at least 10 with the spinefists, so that they don't always have to go to the bitsbin...

    ReplyDelete