Sunday 16 February 2020

Rohan Reinforcements, Nazgûl and a Blue Angel

Rohan vs. Wraiths
Pict 829: Rohan vs. Wraiths
Not to be overcome with Uruk-Hai, I painted some reinforcements for my Rohan army and put them to good use in a doubles tournament this past saturday. I also quickly whipped up a few wraiths from Mordor while I was in the Middle-earth mindset. I also put the finishing touches on Bertrand and Hugo that were almost finished during my last entry. To round out my painting, I then got onto a planetar for my D&D games.

Dernhelm and Merry (mounted)
Pict 830: Dernhelm and Merry (mounted)
Dernhelm (mounted)
Pict 831: Dernhelm (mounted)

Éowyn (Death of Gothmog)
Pict 832: Éowyn (Death of Gothmog)
I started painting the Rohan heroes of with Dernhelm since I needed her for the tournament. My doubles partner (you can see more of his over at SmallThingsModelling) could have lend me his version but nothing is better to motivate me to paint than a deadline such as a tournament. I then threw in the crawling Éowyn from the 'Death of Gothmog' diorama.

Théodred and Rohan Captain (mounted)
Pict 833: Théodred and Rohan Captain (mounted)
Théodred and Rohan Captain (on foot)
Pict 834: Théodred and Rohan Captain (on foot)
After they finished up rather nicely, I went into my drawer of primed Rohan miniatures and took out Théodred and the Captain. Up until now I never had a reason to paint them but the former got a cool new Legendary Legion in the 'War in Rohan' supplement and I might just use the Captain in an all-hero army. I'm still lacking a painted Gamling with the royal banner however so that model might jump the queue?

Riders of Rohan
Pict 835: Riders of Rohan
Other than Dernhelm, the two riders had to be painted for the doubles tournament. While they are not my best paintjobs, I'm happy with how they look. There are now only four more Riders of Rohan primed and if I painted them, I would have 24 in total. That seems like a reasonable amount (there are quite a few more in my box of shame though...) and it might even be doable in the coming weeks?

The Shadowlord, the Knight of Umbar and Castellans of Dol Guldur
Pict 836: The Shadowlord, the Knight of Umbar and Castellans of Dol Guldur
The Shadowlord, the Knight of Umbar and Castellans of Dol Guldur
Pict 837: The Shadowlord, the Knight of Umbar and Castellans of Dol Guldur
The other list we were running at the doubles event called for a Castellan of Dol Guldur. I knew I had these two primed and ready to be painted but they were rather far down my queue. However since I had them on my mind from the list building process, I decided to slap some paint on them. Of course they are pretty much only metal and dark cloth so they painted up rather fast. Spurred on by the quick success, I also painted the two named Ringwraiths I sill had lying about: the Shadowlord and the Knight of Umbar.

The Bowmen of Bergerac - Bertrand le Brigand, Hugo le Petit and Gui le Gros
Pict 838: The Bowmen of Bergerac - Bertrand le Brigand, Hugo le Petit and Gui le Gros


Bertrand le Brigand
Pict 839: Bertrand le Brigand
Hugo le Petit
Pict 840: Hugo le Petit
Bertrand and Hugo pretty much done with my last post. They had to sit idly on my desk though while I went on my Rohan and Morder painting spree. But after I had varnished everything above, I finished the two of them. Again: the models are really amazing, especially for their age (the first mention in a catalogue was from the 1997 Annual with a copyright from 1996, they had profiles in the 5th edition of WHFB). I suppose, they will only be used in D&D but if I ever get around to play Mordheim or Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish, they would be first in line!

Planetar (WIP)
Pict 841: Planetar (WIP)
Speaking of D&D: I have some of the bigger models that are primed and ready to go sitting on my desk at all times. (Amongst them a Beholder, a Carmine Dragon as well as two Balrogs.) They always accuse me of not getting a move on and painting them... Last week I finally gave in to their cries and started to work on this planetar made by Gale Force Nine for the D&D Collector's Series. I have to say that the older models of the product line were a bit better: The detail on the planetar's greaves and braces was slightly washed out and I had to resculpt some of the feathers where a big moldline was running right through them. Nonetheless the model looks quite cool and I look forward to finishing it next week.

2 comments:

  1. Another prolific post! Always great to see your Rohirrim. You should make that first pic into an action shot with background, its great! You definitely need to do a army wide shot when they're all done. Didn't realise the bowmen sculpts were so old, pretty impressive for 1996! Have you changed the layout of your blog? I don't remember the owl for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to see about making some army showcase posts, once the Riders are done. The army itself will take some more time to be finished however. To many different scuplts of the heroes (ten of Éowyn alone, out of which now I painted six)...

      I think the owl has been here for some time. But it's a woodspirit from the Dryad kit so you never know!

      Delete