Sunday 2 February 2020

Uruk-Hai Scouts and Ballista

In the past two weeks, I once more painted up some Uruk-Hai. I also got to a fun project of some rather old Bretonnia miniatures that were far down the painting queue, but I somehow got the bug to get some paint onto them.

Uruk-Hai Scouts and Ballista
Pict 818: Uruk-Hai Scouts and Ballista
Uruk-Hai Scouts with Bows
Pict 819: Uruk-Hai Scouts with Bows
Uruk-Hai Scouts with Bows
Pict 820: Uruk-Hai Scouts with Bows
Continuing the theme of painting Uruk-Hai, I painted up these six Uruk Scouts with bows. I plan on painting even more of the metal scouts as they make for a cheap addition to my Ferals and Berserkers as well as a fun army on their own led by Lurtz or Uglúk and Mauhúr. One of bows was a bit damaged since I sourced these miniatures second hand. But once they rank up for the game the damage is unnoticable.

Uruk-Hai Shaman and Banner
Pict 821: Uruk-Hai Shaman and Banner
Uruk-Hai Shaman and Banner
Pict 822: Uruk-Hai Shaman and Banner
And here is the rest of the command groups, I had showed in my last post. The two shamans with their skulls and bones look a bit to much like Warhammer Fantasy miniatures, but they might see some games to make my Uruks fearless. The Warrior with banner looks really cool, but the smaller embossed hands on the banner are a bit crooked. Additionally he is quite prone to fall over so that I plan to get myself one of the other bannerbearers.

Uruk-Hai Siege Ballista
Pict 823: Uruk-Hai Siege Ballista
Uruk-Hai Siege Ballista
Pict 824: Uruk-Hai Siege Ballista
I really like this model of the Uruk Siege Ballista! The siege engine itself looks quite funcional with the stand that might be adjusted to change the angle of the bolt and the crank being worked by one of the crew. It also painted up rather quickly since as with the rest of the Uruk aesthetic it's quite simple.

Sharkey and Worm
Pict 825: Sharkey and Worm
Sharkey and Worm
Pict 826: Sharkey and Worm
While I was painting up the Shamans and the Bannerbearer, I also put some paint on this dynamic dou here: Sharkey and Worm. They probably will only ever be played as NPCs in D&D since they represent what becomes of Saruman and Grima after the fall of Isengard. I would have to collect and paint quite a few Ruffians to play them as a Scouring of the Shire army.

Gui le Gros
Pict 827: Gui le Gros
And lastly here is a model that I painted up only for myself and for my collection. Gui le Gros clearly had a bit much to drink but luckily he's carrying his own barrel of wine with himself. The face is really quite characterfull and I loved painting him!

Bertrand le Brigand, Hugo le Petit (WIP)
Pict 828: Bertrand le Brigand, Hugo le Petit (WIP)
The other two miniatures that came with Gui le Gros are Bertrand le Brigand an Hugo le Petit. Bertrand and Hugo are almost done as well but not quite there. Bertrand is clearly modeled on Errol Flynn and Gui on Eugene Pallette from the same film. Sadly Hugo falls out of the scheme, but they make for quite the merry band of men!

2 comments:

  1. Great work on the Uruks as always. Did you free hand that banner? Looks super crisp and that's not easy with white. Grima Wormtongue is still the coolest name in fantasy (although I like Drool Rockworm too). Never heard of Gui le Gros. He looks most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The banner is embossed but it took several layers of Pallid Wych Flesh and a highlight of White Scar to make it pop like that.

      And yes - Tolkien knew how to name his characters!

      Delete