Sunday 15 September 2024

Converting Recon Marines and Chaplain Dreadnoughts

Just a quick post to show some building / converting I have done over the past two weeks: A small squad of Recon Marines with Nemesis Bolters, ready to be painted as a part of a small Raven Guard allied detachment for my Horus Heresy Blood Angels. And two Castra Ferrum Dreadnought, both of them the venerable Chaplain Dreadnought sculpt from ForgeWorld.

Raven Guard Recon Marines (Conversion)
Pict 1469: Raven Guard Recon Marines (Conversion)
Raven Guard Recon Marines (Conversion)
Pict 1470: Raven Guard Recon Marines (Conversion)

I had quite a few ideas floating around in my head after last month's campaign day. But one that just had to be done was to convert some Recon Marines with Nemesis Bolters. They do seem quite useful in the game and just look great! I plan to paint them as a small Raven Guard allied detachment – a small part of the shattered legion that lend their skills in forward deployment to my Blood Angels.
The models were converted using the plastic Mk VI marines. I removed some detail on the chest armour and replaced it with detailing reminicent of the Raven Guard Dark Furies. The cloaks are made with Green Stuff – at fist only the rough shape before attaching the backpack. Once that had cured I added smaller whisps of Green Stuff to the edges to make them look less uniform and lastly texturing them with a layer of Vallejo Plastic Putty roughly stippled on to hide some of the seams that I could not iron out. The Nemesis Bolters use parts of the Grey Knight's Interceptor backpacks – using the longer teleporter rods to extend the barrels and the shorter ones to create a sight on top.

Mk IV Chaplain Dreadnoughts (WIP)
Pict 1471: Mk IV Chaplain Dreadnoughts (WIP)

Whilst converting I also worked on this pair of Chaplain Dreadnoughts. Both of them are eBay rescues and one of them was in a somewhat sorry state. The one with Lascannon will be part of my Howling Griffons to represent Chaplain Dreadnought Armand Titus that was part of force that participated in the Badab War. The other one had a bit more surgery done to make it fit in more with my Heresy Blood Angels, most notably I used a Dremel to make space for one of the Forge World Mk IV Blood Angels helmets. I really enjoyed posing these two. Whilst the boxy frame can feel a bit clumsy I'm very happy with what I came up with – one of them braced on a rock to surveil the battlefield, the other leaning forward to get ready for close combat. I plan to paint at least one of them for this year's Dreadtober. Will I manage to paint both of them?

4 comments:

  1. Both look fantastic, but that heavy bolter toting Dreadnought is boss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love how this one came out - can't wait to get some paint on them!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! I love the use of the Grey Knight bits to build Nemesis Bolters. Clever and effective! I have a soft spot in my heart for the Forge World Chaplain Dreads...great to see the walk proud once again. And you've got me wondering where mine got off too...probably tucked away with my firstborn Dark Angels...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! The Dreadnoughts are very much a nostalgia project for me too – one of my first posts on this blog was a Chaplain Dread that I painted for my Flesh Tearers at the time. I sold them since then and have been missing especially the Dread!

      Delete