Sunday 27 February 2022

The Greatest of Trolls

My main focus in February was to finish my big old Mordor Troll Chieftain crushing Aragorn underfoot in the duel at the end of The Return of the King. Finishing the conversion took me quite a while and painting was not that much quicker...

Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Pict 1139: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Pict 1140: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Pict 1141: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Pict 1142: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)
Pict 1143: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar (Conversion)

At some point, I just had to declare this conversion to be finished. It seemed like I could have pushed the putty around for forever... It just looked like I found another missing detail whenever I picked him up: straps to hold the armour on the fingers of the left hand in place, defining the armour on the back a bit more or a piece of swordhandle for Andúril lying just out of reach for Aragorn...

The final conversion uses parts from a number of different kits: The main body and right arm come from the Mordor Troll Chieftain, the head and left arm from the plastic Mordor Troll. The offhand mace uses the Troll drumstick hand as a base and adds in bits from the plastic Warhammer Fantasy Black Orcs. Aragorn consists of the lying Isildur's legs, the Aragorn Elessar of foot torso and arms, the head and Andúril come from the mounted Elessar and the elven dagger (including the hand) were donated by a Lurtz – whittling and the Uruk blade until it fit the bill! And of course there is a load of green stuff tying it all together.

Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Pict 1144: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Pict 1145: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Pict 1146: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Pict 1147: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Troll Face
Pict 1148: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Troll Face
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn
Pict 1149: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn
Pict 1150: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn
Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn
Pict 1151: Mordor Troll Chieftain vs. Aragorn Elessar, Detail: Aragorn

And here is the big boy all painted up. I used the same colours I already used on the first Mordor Troll Chieftain but I had to look up several references for Aragorn Elessar. I'm very happy with the conversion all together and the paintjob and I can't wait to use him in a game. I entered the duel into heroichighlights' diorama contest - we'll see how he does!

Ghoul
Pict 1152: Ghoul
Ghoul
Pict 1153: Ghoul

This Ghoul here is the next leg in my journey to paint up more miniatures for my Undead collection. I used a paler variation of my Zombie Skin recipe. In preparation of painting the Ghoul at the start of February, I got around to noting down the recipies for my AoS Undead - while it does not cover every possible detail, the broad strokes are there to remind myself of how I painted things when I want to add to the collection.

Ghouls and Crypt Horrors (WIP)
Pict 1154: Ghouls and Crypt Horrors (WIP)

Here is where I've gotten to with the rest of the Ghoul tribe: five more metal Ghouls and three Crypt Horrors. I plan to use the same colours thoughout. The basecolours and washes went on quite quickly but highlighting the skin does take a surprising amount of time since it is the biggest part of the model.

Iron Hills Dwarves (WIP)
Pict 1155: Iron Hills Dwarves (WIP)

Lastly, I started painting these Dwarves back in October but it seems I was distracted by some new and shiny thing. Anyways, now I will need them for an upcoming doubles tournament which is always a good motivation.

11 comments:

  1. oh man, did you sculpt all of the chieftain armour on a normal troll arm (replacing the hand because, hey, why make it easy?)! Now that's a conversion! How come you didn't just use the chieftain head? I'll admit yours is arguably better. And Aragorn looks suitably pinned and desperate! I hate to think how much reposing you had to do to get that right. Then, of course, you just want to see it finished but you really want it to look good so the paint time doubles or trebles. I find it horribly time consuming but very rewarding when it's done. Your paint job is worthy of this excellent vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate! High praise coming from you!
      I have to admit that the armour plates on the left arm are press molded. I had to use a different arm and head since the poor lad was an eBay rescue and came missing some pieces. Great to have him ready, but he's missing some more Orc troopers...

      Delete
    2. Someone gave me some press molded bits and pieces, I must try it out. Work smarter, not harder!

      Delete
    3. Really works wonders, the stuff!

      Delete
  2. Great job with troll chieftain and Aragorn. Really captures the climatic end at the Return of the king.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice conversion and great paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you have the modelling skills as well! :) Great work with green stuff on that troll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find myself with green stuff in hand more often right now. Once you get to know the material, you can do some great things with it!

      Delete
    2. Practice makes perfect! Looking forward to more. ;)

      Delete