Sunday 24 June 2018

Something's breaking through the Trees!

I had this particular Dragon standing on the back of my desk for some years now and with the Carmine Dragon screaming to be painted, I decided I really should finish the green one first.


Breaking through the Trees
Pict 445: Breaking through the Trees
Forest Dragon
Pict 446: Forest Dragon

Forest Dragon
Pict 447: Forest Dragon

Forest Dragon
Pict 448: Forest Dragon

Forest Dragon (Head)
Pict 449: Forest Dragon (Head)

It wasn't that much work to get him finished, but I never got around to it. Since he's got very large flat areas he was one of the first miniatures I tried my hand at wet-blending. The result wasn't the greatest which discouraged me at the time. Now, more than four years later, I only had to higlight the greens and get to the details like the horns and teeth.I'm pretty happy with the result as it stands but of course the blends could be better in some places. Thankfully the Carmine Dragon has more sculpted detail so that the big surfaces are broken up and will be easier to paint.
The miniature will most likely see play as an Adult Green Dragon in D&D, but if I'm ever able to play a Storm of Magic game I'll be happy to field him. Originally I had planned to do a conversion of Naestra and Arahan to ride the beast but right now I like the classic model for them better.


Gnoll Warrior
Pict 450: Gnoll Warrior

Gnoll Warrior
Pict 451: Gnoll Warrior

Gnoll Warrior
Pict 452: Gnoll Warrior

Gnoll Warrior
Pict 453: Gnoll Warrior

The second figure I painted this week is this Gnoll Warrior. He's the last piece of my Illithid Raiding Party set. The cast is quite detailed but in some spaces I had to resculpt parts after the fragile pieces had come loose when washing the moldrelease of. I used the picture in the 5th edition Monster Manual as a guideline - it's virtually the same Gnoll - and I liked how they introduced the red cloth as a splash of colour. I then added some verdigris to the bronze in order to contrast the red.

2 comments:

  1. You had me confused there. I always loved the Black Dragon model and thought this one looked just as good. So I wasted 10 minutes searching for 'Forest Dragon' before realising that they were one and the same! Lovely work. Slightly converted? Seems to be less bling on this fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - I could have added that it's the Black Dragon from the Dark Elves line. I find him to be one of the best Dragon sculpts by GW. The original model does have some more bronze guards on the legs and hips, but you can simply leave them of - no converting required.

      Delete