Sunday 16 June 2019

Umber Hulk Smash!

Well, this week I finished the experiment on what happens when a gorilla and a beetle really like each other: You get an Umber Hulk. And after that I got to do something for Middle-earth as well.

Umber Hulk
Pict 683: Umber Hulk
Umber Hulk
Pict 684: Umber Hulk
Umber Hulk
Pict 685: Umber Hulk

I started painting this Umber Hulk back in January and it really good to have him finished. He sat there sulking on my desk to whole time and finally I took heart and finished him. I had two things that were bugging me about him: I didn't blend the base and I felt like the armourplates looked like one big jumble without differentiation. The first problem was easily fixed with simply a new layer but the armour plates were more difficult. In the end I went with a slightly more pinkish tone on the parts that seemed more exposed and with the bright orange eyes, I think the creature came together all right.

Arnor and Rangers (WIP)
Pict 686: Arnor and Rangers (WIP)

And here are the rangers from last week with some paint added. The miniatures went right on top of my queue after converting them and I look forward to playing some more battle companies with them. To that end, I also pulled out the remainder of my Arnor and got them the same treatment as the Rangers of the North.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a proper Umber Hulk. Not like the stupid Blackstone Fortress one. (I'm just salty because they don't sell them any more.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that model is great. But I sure was tempted to get myself an Ambull!

      Delete