Sunday 29 March 2020

Picking up a few things throughout Middle-earth

I used the past two weeks to pick up a few projects and finishing others with a focus on Middle-earth. I managed to paint Eorl and a few Warriors for my Rohan army, the Moria Goblins of a few weeks back as well as some more heroes. I also painted two more models for D&D and started on a few more.

Rohan vs. Moria
Pict 859: Rohan vs. Moria
Grôblog and Armoured Moria Goblins
Pict 860: Grôblog and Armoured Moria Goblins
Grôblog and Armoured Moria Goblins
Pict 861: Grôblog and Armoured Moria Goblins

First up are the armoured Moria Goblins. I really like the models - the mail coifs are an element that didn't extend towards the plastic goblins and makes these stand out.
With Grôblog, the guy with the tactical dwarven ruin, I particularly enjoyed painting the flowing cloak. But as is tradition with finecast, before priming I had to carve out the detail on the pillar because it was to washed out. I was very pleased however how the whole batch turned out and what was at first meant to be a small group to be played as hobgoblins in D&D might now get turned into an army? I already stripped the paint of about 70 plastic goblins, so that might be a reality...

Eorl, Warriors of Rohan with Horn and Banner
Pict 862: Eorl, Warriors of Rohan with Horn and Banner
Eorl, Warriors of Rohan with Horn and Banner
Pict 863: Eorl, Warriors of Rohan with Horn and Banner


After having painted Eorl on foot, of course I had to paint him on horseback as well. Intrestingly GW painted their version with a brown horse while Felaróf is clearly described as white. So that's what I went with. I also painted two more warriors - a bannerbearer and a hornblower. The banner will surely see play while the horn is a bit on the expensive site pointswise.

Gildor Inglorion, Gandalf the White, Aragorn
Pict 864: Gildor Inglorion, Gandalf the White, Aragorn
Gildor Inglorion, Gandalf the White, Aragorn
Pict 865: Gildor Inglorion, Gandalf the White, Aragorn
I then pulled out some more Middle-earth heroes from various armies and simply painted what took my fancy. The three poses of Aragorn were painted at the same time and now put me at nine painted Aragorns - only five more left to go and I painted all of the official poses that GW put out!
Of Gandalf I also showed a WIP. I'm not perfectly happy with the eyes, they are sculpted to be rather small on the model and now he looks a bit surprised. But after several tries, that what I ended up with. Gildor Inglrion was painted with the scenarios of the Fellowship Journeybook in mind. The colourscheme combines elements of my Highelf and Woodelf miniatures, since he's able to include the latter in his warband.

Dragonborn Rogue, Halfling Ranger
Pict 866: Dragonborn Rogue, Halfling Ranger
Dragonborn Rogue, Halfling Ranger
Pict 867: Dragonborn Rogue, Halfling Ranger
And to make a few steps outside the Legendarium, I finished up this Dragonborn Rogue and afterwards painted this Halfling Ranger. Once again, the miniatures are made by Darksword and a joy to paint!
Morgul Stalker (WIP)
Pict 868: Morgul Stalker (WIP)

And lastly here is a WIP of some Morgul Stalkers that I just started. The miniatures are a bit comical but I like the design choice to have spiky hoods and gauntlets. The faces with the big teeth just scream for a skull-motive face paint. I'll see what I can do!

2 comments:

  1. I just finished a D&D campaign using a Dragonborn Warlock, they are really cool looking characters. I think Gandalf's eyes are fine; it really does reach a point with eyes where you have to just go: "Yup, I'm done". What process do you use to paint them? I start with a black stripe and paint in the whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When painting eyes after the basecoat and the wash of the face, I start with the whites, put in the pupil and then "tidy up" with a slighly darker skintone or even a dark grey to get them into shape. After that I highlight the rest of the face.
      I heard about the tecnique of starting with a black stripe but I never tried it. I'll have to give it a go!

      Delete