Sunday 1 March 2020

D&D Hill Giant, Planetar and more Uruk Scouts

These past two weeks I painted more Uruk Scouts and then went onto paint some Moria Goblins. I struck some motivation issues with batch painting them however and thus distracted myself by painting some monsters for D&D.

Hill Giant Smash!
Pict 842: Hill Giant Smash!
Hill Giant
Pict 843: Hill Giant
Hill Giant
Pict 844: Hill Giant
Hill Giant
Pict 845: Hill Giant
Hill Giant
Pict 846: Hill Giant
Hill Giant
Pict 847: Hill Giant

Man, this was just the best distraction. It didn't really take to long since it's pretty much just fur, some leather bits and a whole lot of skin. I'm really in love with the miniature - the face is amazing, the different textures are a joy to paint. The pose is a bit exaggerated but I like it. As with the unicorn I painted at the tailend of last year, I went for minimal use of washes. Instead I drybrushed the boulder, the hair and the fur and layered the skin with translucent paint.

Uruk-Hai Scouts, Uglúk, Captain
Pict 848: Uruk-Hai Scouts, Uglúk, Captain

The Uruks this time around are mainly Scouts - seven with shield, three with bow and the two carrying Merry respectively Pippin. I also painted Uglúk holding an orc head and his twin brother, an unnamed Captain. Lastly there is a single warrior with a crossbow. I'll have to get some more of those to play the Assault on Helm's Deep Legendary Legion, but for now, I'm staying on track with the scouts.

Planetar
Pict 849: Planetar

After painting the Uruks, I finished up the Planetar, I showed last week. As I said, the pose is quite cool but I'm not that happy with the detail on the wings. I tried drybrushing and it looks all right, but compared to the Hill Giant there is a remarkable difference in quality.

Groblog and Moria Goblins (WIP)
Pict 850: Grôblog and Moria Goblins (WIP)
These Moria Goblins again are very nice miniatures and hold up despite being from the first batch of Lord of the Rings miniatures from 2001. Grôblog, the goblin chieftain on the pillar with the cloak is from some later time and only was released in Finecast. It took me quite some time to go through the basecolours but I finnaly managed to get to the wash stage. I hope to finish them next, but since I let myself be distraced by D&D miniatures, I might do some more of them...

Watcher in the Water's Tentacles
Pict 851: Watcher in the Water's Tentacles


While I was on a stroll in Moria, I fished out these tentacles, I had started a long time ago. They were released by GW to play a scenario with the Fellowship of the Ring against the Watcher in the Water on the western door to Moria. Now that they are painted, I'll have to play that scenario sometime!


Dragonborn Rogue (WIP)
Pict 852: Dragonborn Rogue (WIP)

And lastly here is a WIP of the next D&D hero. As always, I very much enjoy Darksword's miniatures and this Dragonborn Rogue is no exception. Right now I don't have any plans to play this miniature but as with the Hill Giant I simply wanted to paint a cool miniature to distract myself from batchpainting...

2 comments:

  1. Painting white feathers was never going to be easy! I love the Hill Giants teeth. I bet his breath is foul! Nice to see a Dragonborn mini. My son had to use a GW Lizardman mini back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bet Hill Giants don't have the best dental hygiene. But maybe that's not their fault - ever seen a giant-sized toothbrush or tubs of mouthwash?

      Delete