Sunday 13 March 2022

More Dwarves and a Space Marine?!

These past two weeks, I managed to finish my Iron Hills Dwarves in time for a tournement but also did a few more bits and bobs including my first Space Marine in a very long time!

Heavily armoured dwarf warrior miniatures in front of a rockwall.
Pict 1156: Iron Hills Dwarf Warriors
Heavily armoured dwarf warrior miniatures in front of a black background.
Pict 1157: Iron Hills Dwarf Warriors
Heavily armoured dwarf warrior miniatures from the back in front of a black background.
Pict 1158: Iron Hills Dwarf Warriors

First up are the six Iron Hills Dwarf warriors, I needed for a 1000 points doubles event. We got to play the Iron Hills list twice, but lost both times – my Chariot only managed to drive over 5 orcs in total if I remeber correctly... Anyways, I'm very happy with these Dwarves. I find them to look better than the dwarves I painted, when I started the blog five years ago. This should not be surprising, but I might want to go back to the older ones and touch them up, esspecially their faces. Maybe in the runup to the next event?

A miniature of an Uruk-hai Captain with a newly sculpted helmet.
Pict 1159: Uruk-Hai Captain (Helmet Conversion)

I also did some scuplting for a good friend I was going to see at the event and put a helmet on this Uruk-Hai captain. Always a good idea to wear one, if you ask me! And of course its a great way to make sure your miniature is different from everybody else's.

Pict 1160: Howling Griffon Badab War Veteran
Pict 1161: Howling Griffon Badab War Veteran

As far as I can tell, this Howling Griffon is the first Space Marine I painted in over four years! I recently was inspired by ArbitorIan's video on the Badab War and a collection of metal Space Marine Veterans primed and ready to go. I always liked the quartered livery of the Howling Griffons, but I also wanted to try and go for a more grimdark / blachitsu style of painting. Fortunately the Howling Griffons wore a darker night world camo variation on their stark yellow/red livery during the Badab War.

Usually I prefer bright and clean colours but I wanted to push my techniques and my horizon a bit. And so I got to experiment with oilwashes and sponging for the weathering. I have to say I'm very pleased with the outcome! I might have to print some decals for the chapter symbol, because I don't want to freehand a griffon on every shoulderpad...

Pict 1162: Múrin, Drár, Thrór, Thráin, Dáin, Thorin III

After my succes with the Iron Hills warriors, I got on with the Dwarf heroes I had started at the same time. For now they have their basecoats and washed done and are awaiting highlights.

6 comments:

  1. You've been very productive! :) Great job as always! What are you using for snow on your bases? Thinking about adding snow to the bases of my upcoming Empire army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using Valhallan Blizzard by GW since I started the army back in 2017. Its still the same pot and I fear the substrate might fall off the base... I also might want to use a smaller instrument to put the snow on - I find the patches a bit to similar in size. But all in all I do like the product! Very easy to use and stays the same colour 5 years layer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for the info! I might give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the Howling Griffin

    ReplyDelete