Sunday 3 July 2022

Starting Heresy Blood Angels

These past two weeks were spent mainly on building parts of the Age of Darkness box as well as some additional models to get a Heresy Blood Angels army of the ground. I started with a Contemptor Dreadnought and built some more Marines. I also painted a Númenor Bannerbearer as a competition piece a few weeks ago, that I can now share.

Pict 1192: Blood Angels Contemptor Dreadnought
Pict 1193: Blood Angels Contemptor Dreadnought
Pict 1194: Blood Angels Contemptor Dreadnought

The new plastic Contemptor really is beatifully posable. This flavor mine with the Blood Angels in mind, I gave him the Kheres Assault Cannon from the first plastic Contemptor as well as a Forge World one. The Havoc Launcher and the head also come from Forge World – not complicated to retrofit the new plastic body, I only had to use a little ball of Green Stuff to get the head to the correct hight.
Painting wise, the Dreadnought was the proof of concept for the army: The large surfaces let me work with the reds as well as the weathering. To give myself a speed boost while painting, I started from a black primer with zenithal red spray. The complete recipe can be found as usual as a separate page.

Pict 1195: Blood Angels (WIP)

Now this is where I stand with the rest of the army so far. I'm aiming to have about 1000 points painted before building more. So far there is a second Contemptor (a Betrayal at Calth repose), half of a Tactical Squad, a Chaplain and Domnion Zephon to lead the merry band. They are primed and ready to recieve the base colours before a oilwash. I am, however, also waiting on some fitting decals as they go on before the wash. So it seems, I might get to build the rest of Tactical Sqaud one and a second one before that step – we will see!

Pict 1196: Númenor Banner Bearer (Conversion)
Pict 1197: Númenor Banner Bearer (Conversion)
Pict 1198: Númenor Banner Bearer (Conversion)

Last, but by no means least, is this Númenor Warrior, converted to be carrying a banner. I painted him to enter him into the Middle-earth Painting Competition on Instagram run by @1stBornPainting. And while he did not go very far in the competition, he was an amazing opportunity to push my painting techniques. Especially the freehand is something I don't have that much experience with and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Now, there are a few areas where I could have pushed the highlights even more to get better definion such as the metals – all the more to keep getting inspired and push even further!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Dread. I am looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! More is in the works, I just have to get around to posting about it as well...

      Delete