Sunday 10 March 2019

"If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom."

This week I returned to Middle Earth to paint two characterful versions of Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee each: Both in Orc Armour and the two of them at Sammath Naur, seemingly ready to get rid of the one ring once and for all.



Sammath Naur, the Cracks of Doom
Pict 607: Sammath Naur, the Cracks of Doom
Frodo and Sam (Mount Doom)
Pict 608: Frodo and Sam (Mount Doom)
Frodo and Sam (Mount Doom)
Pict 609: Frodo and Sam (Mount Doom)

I really enjoyed painting these - the dishevelled look about them, the expressions - all in all really great miniatures and quite a quick paintjob too! Gollum from the first picture was already done for quite some time and I love that the set is now complete and can go onto my shelf.

Frodo and Sam (Orc Armour)
Pict 610: Frodo and Sam (Orc Armour)
Frodo and Sam (Orc Armour)
Pict 611: Frodo and Sam (Orc Armour)

I had this version of Frodo with the basecolours almost done lying about for nigh on two years now. But as with the other pieces of the last weeks, inspiration struck while reading and I quickly painted both Frodo and Sam. I'm done now with the Return of the King and I'm looking forward to see what the appendices are going to inspire me to do.


Mordor Orc (WIP)
Pict 612: Mordor Orc (WIP)

After finishing the Hobbits in Orc Armour, I wrote down the recipe and got to work on these Mordor Orcs. I don't really have any ambitions to play a Mordor Army any time soon, but now that the opportunity presented itself, I wanted to use the practice I got with the Hobbits. Obviously the Orcs are a bit different that Frodo and Sam but I got through the basecolours and the washes pretty quickly nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. You actually posted the recipe in a place where you can't lose it! Genius! I should do that more. Nice work on the hobbits! You should have posed Smeagol staring at the ring in horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had my recipies in scattered notes for some time - I only have to put up the rest here, so that I find them again.
      True - Gollum's eyes really are a missed opportunity!

      Delete