Sunday 1 November 2020

Mordor Uruk Hai of Cirith Ungol

This week I did some more work for the Cirith Ungol Legendary Legion I had in mind with Quest of the Ringbearer. Mainly I converted and painted some Modor Uruk-Hai, but I also had the time to get to a few more Orc models.

Mordor and Cirith Ungol
Pict 937: Mordor and Cirith Ungol
Pict 938: Shagrat
Shagrat
Pict 939 - Shagrat
Of course you need Shagrat to lead any Cirith Ungol force. The older model with the mithril coat wears armour surprisingly similar to the Isengard Uruk-Hai but I wanted to change up the colours to dfferentiate the armies. The model with the Shield of Cirith Ungol is very cool as well and the shield was a welcome template to make some more for my converted Mordor Uruk-Hai.
Mordor Uruk-Hai
Pict 940: Mordor Uruk-Hai
Mordor Uruk-Hai
Pict 941: Mordor Uruk-Hai
Mordor Uruk-Hai with Shield (Conversion)
Pict 942: Mordor Uruk-Hai with Shield (Conversion)
Mordor Uruk-Hai with Shield (Conversion)
Pict 943: Mordor Uruk-Hai with Shield (Conversion)
With 18 assorted Uruk-Hai, this is probably enough for any army I want to run. I painted up one set of six painted up as is, the other I converted with Green Stuff and plasticcard so that they all carry sword and shield.
Mordor Uruk-Hai with Bow (Conversion)
Pict 944: Mordor Uruk-Hai with Bow (Conversion)
Mordor Uruk-Hai with Bow (Conversion)
Pict 945: Mordor Uruk-Hai with Bow (Conversion)
The profile also offers the option to take an orc bow and with the Uruk-Hai shoot value being better than an orc's, I wanted six of those as well. So I quickly scuplted some chainmail over the banded mail of Uruk-Hai scouts. Looking at it now, it could be finer, but it works for my taste.
Kardûsh, Gorbag, Grishnák, Snaga, Zagdûsh
Pict 946: Kardûsh, Gorbag, Grishnák, Snaga, Zagdûsh
Kardûsh, Gorbag, Grishnák, Snaga, Zagdûsh
Pict 947: Kardûsh, Gorbag, Grishnák, Snaga, Zagdûsh
After so many Uruks, this bunch of Mordor Orc heroes was the next logical step. I got Gorbag out from the box of orcs and any other named Orc heroes I had along side him. They also painted up quite quickly and getting to use some more colourful skintones was fun as well.
Orc Trackers
Pict 948: Orc Trackers
Orc Trackers
Pict 949: Orc Trackers
Lastly I also painted up these three Orc Trackers. Even though Frodo and Sam are tracked by an Orc and an Uruk-Hai after escaping Cirith Ungol, the Trackers can not be taken as part of the legendary legion. But I'm sure, the miniatures will see some play in a pure Mordor force at some time in the future. The models themselves look a bit out of place with the rest of the Middle-earth range. But I find them endearing in an old school sort of way nonetheless.

Next up could be Orc Captains and Banners, but I will have to finish Shelob as well!

2 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! Mordor Uruk-Hai have always freaked me out just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the darkes tones really make them look menacing. I love how they looked in the film - they could have been used more.

      Delete